9 elements to pay attention to when buying a laptop
Laptops – laptops are the means to work effectively. So what is the most important factor to choose a laptop? The following article shows 9 factors that users should consult before deciding to buy a laptop.
Now, although smartphones and tablets are quite compact and can replace laptops when you have to move, but want the job to be highly effective, the operations are fast and accurate, you still can’t lack laptops. . Jobs like fast typing, video editing, or graphic design, photo editing … always need a really professional tool.
The market currently has many types of laptops with sizes, features and prices. For users, this is a difficult choice, helpful advice for you to focus on the need to work to choose.
1. Purpose of use? Serving basic, non-intensive purposes: The laptop can be used for everyone to meet basic needs such as work, entertainment … You can only take from 400-800 USD for these popular laptops. Completely inexpensive. For people who need productivity quickly and effectively: If you are a manager, student, office worker … Your main purpose is to type, edit text, use Excel or create articles Powerpoint presentation, you need a computer with a good keyboard, durable design and a sharp screen. Laptop for gamers: You are a gamer, you need a laptop with high-end processor like Core i7, discrete graphics, or dual graphics card, high-resolution screen and powerful sound quality. So the laptop you need to have performance must be good enough, the price for this model can be up to 1,000 USD.
Laptops for professional designers: Your job is to edit photos, videos, audio, graphics and many other types of media .. you need a laptop equipped with a processor Powerful logic, discrete graphics card, excellent sound quality and large screen with high resolution (full HD or higher). This is the model that requires the price of the “most” type. You must save at least 1,000 USD or more. Laptops for Internet surfing and Internet use needs: Of course, any laptop gives you Internet access. However, for those who often use the Internet most of the time or do not have a lot of demand for specialized software, it is possible to choose a computer running a Chromebook platform with good performance and quite cheap price.
2. The size of the screen: Types of laptops are usually divided according to the structure and screen size.
11 – 12 inches: this is the thinnest and lightest model, weighing less than 1.5kg. Pretty much every Chromebook has this screen size. However, with this small screen, the keyboard is similar in size, so some people may feel cramped when used.
13 – 14 inches: This is a decent size of a laptop to show a balance between portability and performance. The average weight of a computer with this screen size is 2-3 kg.
15 inches: The most popular size, 15 inch notebooks are usually the most affordable and usually weigh 4-5 kg. If you don’t have to carry your computer too often, the 15-inch widescreen model is your choice. Some 15-inch models have a DVD drive, but you’ll have a lighter machine if you choose an optical drive.
17-18 inches: This is the laptop with the largest screen. This type of device is usually chosen by gamers or professional designers because of its powerful processor, high quality screen. Because of the large screen size, this type of laptop is usually equipped with high-voltage quad-core CPU, powerful discrete graphics card and multiple storage drives.
3. Keyboard and Touchpad: The keyboard is a pretty important part when testing a laptop. Try to see the keyboard I plan to buy with quick response? Is the keyboard suitable for your hand size? The touchpad section is smooth or erratic, with latency? Can you zoom in, zoom out images, text easily?
You can check by using only the keyboard or just using the touchpad for basic operations to see the productivity of the device. In general, according to many customers and experts, Apple and Lenovo are manufacturers that offer the best quality keyboards and touchpads.
4. Technical specifications: Laptop specifications such as CPU, hard drive, RAM and graphics chip can be quite confusing to users who do not master technical expertise. You can find out information about the specifications for the model you are going to buy before going to the store, check this information on the product or ask a professional to accompany it. Especially with high demands such as using 3D games or editing media, HD videos need a strong CPU and the device will take away your money.
5. 2 in 1 laptop or traditional laptop? Since Windows 8 was released, the hybrid laptop design seems to double. We can tell the typical names like Lenovo IdeaPad Yoga.
Hybrid laptops with this tablet body have a touch screen, which can be attached to the keyboard to become a laptop. It allows users to flexibly choose the type of work and is convenient to travel a lot. Consider your needs so you can choose a traditional laptop or a 2 in 1 laptop.
6. Battery life: Nobody wants to use a laptop but have to search for an electrical outlet to plug in the charger. If you buy a regular laptop with a 15-inch screen. You must make sure the battery life of the device is at least 4 hours. People who need to move, should choose a computer with good battery life, from 6-7 hours is ideal. The laptop has the longest battery life so far as Lenovo’s ThinkPad X240, with a battery life of 10-20 hours.
To determine the exact battery life of a laptop, in addition to reading the manufacturer’s specifications, you should consult information from objective sources such as computer review sites. Because your actual battery life will vary depending on actual operation, whether you set the screen brightness, adjust the volume and what you will do with the computer (for example, watching videos will take more battery surf the web).
7. What money is it? You can buy a laptop for less than $ 500 for the most basic business and entertainment needs. But if you have more budget, you can choose for yourself a better quality computer, longer battery life, a better display and stronger performance. Of course it is his money.
8. Brand problem Technology support and other manufacturers’ services are important factors when choosing a laptop brand. According to experts, over the past year firms such as Sony, Apple and Samsung (currently Samsung has not joined the laptop market) are the best brands in terms of support and services for customers. However it is only a part of your choice. You must also see competition for design, performance, value and other standards. In 2014, according to experts, Apple is the highest ranked computer brand, followed by Lenovo and ASUS.
9. Mac, Chrome or Windows operating system? This is not an easy question to answer, especially if you have never thought of switching from Windows to Mac or have never heard of Chrome OS. But overall, each operating system has its own strengths and weaknesses.
If you need a thin and light laptop but still have a strong configuration to meet all the tasks, these are the most notable options.
To integrate strongly configured in a compact body is not easy. But the following laptops all meet 4 criteria: slim design, high-resolution screen, Intel Core i7 processor and at least 16 GB of RAM.
2017 MacBook Pro 13 inch high-end version with Intel Core i7-7567U processor, 16 GB RAM and 1TB SSD and screen resolution of 2,560 x 1,600. The price of this product is 2,380 USD for the refurbished version.
Despite the impressive performance and great macOS operating system, this model also has the weakness that the configuration has not upgraded compared to the old version, the keyboard is prone to error and only equipped with Thunderbolt 3 / USB Type C.
The MacBook Pro also has a more powerful version with a 15-inch screen, 4-core Intel Core i7-7920HQ processor, 16GB of RAM, 1TB SSD and AMD Radeon Pro 560 discrete graphics for $ 2,760 for refurbished machines.
This version has extra discrete graphics for those who need graphic power, but still retains the weaknesses of the 13-inch version, and the price is quite expensive. The two MacBook Pro are also the only models on the list without touch screens.
Dell XPS 13 has the highest configuration using 4-core Intel Core i7-8550U processor, 16GB RAM, 512GB SSD and equipped with 4K touch screen for $ 1,900.
The XPS 13 has an impressive thin screen border, a strong configuration but lacks a standard USB port, only 2 Thunderbolt 3 ports, 1 USB Type-C 3.1 port and MicroSD card reader.
The Dell XPS 15 has an optional 6-core Intel Core i7-8750H processor, 16GB RAM, 512GB SSD, NVIDIA GTX 1050Ti graphics card and a 15.6-inch 4K touchscreen for $ 2,100.
With discrete graphics, this model can play well on average games. It also added HDMI port, SD card reader and standard USB 3.1 port compared to the XPS version 13.
Microsoft Surface Pro is equipped with Intel Intel Core i7-7660U processor with 2 cores, 16 GB RAM, 512 GB SSD and 12.3 inch touch screen with resolution of 2,736 x 1,824, equivalent to 15 inch MacBook Pro. The machine is priced at 1,900 USD.
The Surface Pro is as compact as a tablet, has a USB 3.0 port, MicroSD card reader and mini DisplayPort. However, the machine sold without a keyboard, you have to spend more than 130 USD to buy a keyboard.
The HP Specter x360 15 has a 15.6-inch 4K resolution touchscreen, uses Intel Core i7-8550U CPU, 16 GB RAM, 512 GB SSD and NVIDIA MX150 discrete graphics card. The machine is priced at 1,600 USD.
This is the most affordable model on this list. Large screens will also be suitable for those who need ample workspace. Full connectivity includes Thunderbolt 3, USB-C 3.1, USB 3.1 and HDMI ports.
The Lenovo Yoga 920 14 comes equipped with an Intel Core i7-8550U CPU, 16 GB RAM, 1TB SSD and a 14-inch touchscreen 4K screen. The price of this product is 1,600 USD.
Lenovo keyboard is of very good quality, it can also be folded back as a tablet and equipped with 2 USB-C ports and USB 3.0 port. However, the screen border is quite thick, not beautiful.
Huawei Matebook X Pro was dubbed the killer MacBook Pro, with the configuration including Intel Core i7-8550U CPU, 16 GB RAM, 512 GB SSD, NVIDIA MX150 graphics card and 14 inch touch screen resolution at 3K price sold only 1,500 USD.
Huawei’s laptop has a thin screen border, the design is also very neat and equipped with 2 Thunderbolt 3 ports and USB 3.0 port. The only minus point is probably the reputation of Huawei in the computer village not equal to the competition.
Asus ZenBook Pro 15 UX580 has the highest configuration with Intel Core i9-8950HK processor, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD and NVIDIA GTX 1050Ti graphics card, for about $ 2,200
The unique feature of this device is the touch-screen touchpad that Asus calls Screenpad. Machine has a very strong configuration, many connection ports but the price is also quite high.